The 4th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) Working Group Meeting 2021 took place virtually from May 25-26, 2021. It was sponsored by the Department of International Cooperation, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), China, and organized by the China National Center for Biotechnology Development.
- Area of discussion – Emerging issues in the field of Biotechnology and Biomedicine.
- The Indian side was led by Dr Sanjeev Kumar Varshney, Advisor & Head, International Cooperation Division, Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- Researchers, academicians, Scientific Institutions and government officials from all 5 BRICS countries participated in the meeting.
- The meeting was part of the BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Calendar of Activities 2020-21.
i.During the meeting each BRICS country shared their experience in fighting the COVID-19 and their pandemic preparedness.
ii.The participants suggested future directions of research collaboration among BRICS countries in the areas of Antimicrobial Resistance, Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health Medicine, Non-Communicable Diseases, Neurological Disorder, Agro-biotechnology, Food and Nutrition, Cancer, long Post-COVID-19 Challenges and Complications including Molecular Pathogenesis of COVID-19 virus.
iii.India proposed BRICS Consortium to address Post Pandemic challenges, tackle Non-Communicable Diseases as Flagship programmes.
- It also confirmed its commitment for co-investment of resources, including funding for supporting BRICS multilateral projects.
- Indian Scientific Institutions which took part in the meeting are Department of Science and Technology (DST); Department of Biotechnology (DBT); IIT Delhi; AIIMS New Delhi; IIT Jodhpur, Rajasthan; Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh; Delhi University.
Recent Related News:
February 27, 2021, India virtually held the inaugural 3-day long Sherpas meeting from February 24-26, 2021. This is the 1st Sherpas meeting hosted by India after it assumed the 2021 BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa) Chairship. India succeeds Russia as the Chair of BRICS.
Members – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
2021 Chair – India