Omnispace, a pioneer in global communications services (based in United States) and Nelco Limited, a TATA Group company & a leading satellite communication (Satcom) service provider in India have signed a strategic cooperation agreement to enable and distribute 5G non-terrestrial network (NTN), direct-to-device satellite services.
The collaborative effort aims to expand the reach of 5G using satellite communication throughout India and South Asia.
- Through this agreement, Omnispace emerged as the fifth Satcom operator actively waiting for the Indian market to provide satellite-based broadband connectivity.
- The four operators who already have an interest in the Indian market are: Elon Musk’s Star Link, Canadian Telesat, Bharti-backed OneWeb, and Jio’s partnership with SES.
i.The strategic alliance will benefit business critical applications such as Aero IFC and maritime communication as it will focus on enabling the use of 5G direct-to-device communications using Omnispace’s global NGSO satellite network across various market segments.
ii.It is aided with Internet of Things (IoT)-based solutions and seamless mobile connectivity experiences beyond the boundaries of existing mobile networks by the Omnispace network.
iii. It will expand Nelco’s service space by inducting 5G satellite direct-to-device connectivity solutions to its already existing Satcom services. It can now service both new and existing consumers throughout South Asia with the world’s first global 5G NTN network.
iv.Hybrid Network: Since Omnispace is establishing the world’s first truly global hybrid mobile network, its global network will be based on 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) 5G NTN standards, offering seamless interoperability across cellular and satellite networks, delivering the power of 5G to any compatible device.
- The hybrid network enables the customers to connect their device with the terrestrial network as well as their satellite network in areas that are outside terrestrial coverage.
Similar Agreement of Nelco with Telesat, Canada:
Nelco has already collaborated with the Canadian satellite operator, Telesat, on terrestrial facilities, commercial distribution and regulatory frameworks to offer Telesat Low Earth Orbit (LEO) global satellite connectivity in India.
- Their fast satellite broadband services are expected to be delivered in India by 2024.
- Telesat LEO is a next-generation satellite constellation which will help in bridging the digital divide in remote and challenging locations.
- It will also aid in accelerating 5G expansion, enable new levels of performance for enterprise, telecom, mobility and government broadband connectivity on land, air and sea.
About Nelco Limited:
A part of the Tata Group and a leading Satellite Communication (SatCom or VSAT) Service Provider in India, providing highly reliable data connectivity solutions in India.
Managing Director & CEO – P J Nath
Headquarters – Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
A frontrunner of global communications that is delivering a unique, 5G-based ‘one global network’ specifically designed to meet the communications needs of 21st century users.
President & CEO – Ram Viswanathan
Headquarters – Tysons, Virginia(VA), United States