The Office of Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India launched the Atmanirbhar Krishi app under the KisanMitr initiative. The app aims to equip farmers with actionable agricultural insights and provide early weather alerts.
i.The app collects Data related to soil type, soil health, moisture, weather, and water table and generates personalized insights related to crop selection, fertilizer requirements, and water needs for each farmer.
ii.It has been designed and built by the Tech Mahindra Makers Lab team, the Research & Development arm of Tech Mahindra.
iii.The data for the app is being provided by various Government departments,
|Type of data||Source|
|Weather & Weather-based Information||Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)|
|Land surface information, Vegetation index & Crop||Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)|
|Soil Type and Soil Health||Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmer Welfare (DACFW), The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)|
|Surface Water & Ground Water||National Water Informatics Centre (NWIC), Includes Central Ground Water Board (CGWA)|
- The app is provided free of cost to benefit farmers, start-ups, Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs), Self Help Groups (SHG), or Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO).
- It is available in 12 languages and has been designed to work on minimal bandwidth due to connectivity issues in remote areas.
- The app does not collect inputs from the farmer, it relies on geo-location of the farm for providing the relevant data.
KisanMitr – Friends of the Farmers project is an initiative of the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India.
- The objective of the initiative is to make Indian farmers become self-reliant by giving them insights and recommendations based on information from various data sources from different departments of the Government.
- This National Digital Repository called the Friends of the Farmer portal is hosted as per Government of India cloud policy at Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Fourth Paradigm Institute (CSIR4PI), Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Recent Related News:
On April 14, 2021, Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India (GoI) Professor K Vijay Raghavan virtually launched the ‘MANAS’ App (Mental Health and Normalcy Augmentation System) to promote the Mental well-being of Indian Citizens.
About Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA)
It is the chief advisor to the Government on matters related to scientific policy.
Principal Scientific Adviser to GoI – Professor K VijayRaghavan
Headquarters – New Delhi
About Tech Mahindra
MD & CEO – CP Guarani
Headquarters – Pune, Maharashtra