The state Government of Odisha launched the Anwesha scheme to provide education to Scheduled castes and scheduled tribes children free of cost. 70 % Schedule Tribe and 30% SC students will be benefitted.
- The scheme was announced by the Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik in Odisha’s capital city Bhubneshwar at Saragi Phul festival.
- Saragi Phul is a three day children’s festival for ST, SC children held at Adivasi Ground, Bhubaneswar.
Key features of scheme
- It will be implemented in 17 districts.
- It aims to enroll a total of 50000 SC and ST students in phases.
- For each student, government will give Rs. 25000 for school fees per annum excluding hostel cost and scholarship.
- The government will bear all expenses for fees, uniform, books, hostel accommodation as well transportation.
- Separate hostel will be constructed for these children under this scheme.
- A counsellor will be appointed to help students in self-studies in hostels.
- The children will be selected by means of a lottery which will be drawn by a committee chaired by the district collectors in the state.
As per the provisions of the scheme 5000 children falling under the category of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes will be given admission in standard 1 in private schools across all the urban cities in Odisha.
- Pilot project of the scheme for 2015-16 has received positive feedback from schools as well as parents of wards.