On March 05, 2021, Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the India’s first World Skill Center(WSC), an advanced skill training institute at Mancheswar, Bhubaneswar with the cost of Rs 1342.2crore, under the Odisha Skill Development Project.
- The Centre is developed with the assistance of Asian Development Bank(ADB) and ITE Education Services (ITEES), Singapore as the knowledge partner. ADB will share the cost for developing the WSC center.
To provide advance skill training to the youth of the state and prepare them for competing at Global level.
To expand the skill development to reach every village and to make children aware of career choices.
World Skill Center (WSC):
- WSC is the 18-storey state-of-the-art building with a helipad and is now the tallest structure in the State.
- The center is built over an area of 4.5 lakh sq ft in Mancheswar Industrial Area.
- The center seeks inspiration from Institute of Technical Education Services (ITEES), Singapore, World Skills, Russia and Global Institute for Transferring Skills, South Korea the knowledge partners.
Note: The state is set to create Odisha Skill Vision 2030 to guide future efforts of all implementing departments.
Functions of WSC:
- The center acts as a nodal agency for preparing Odisha’s youth to meet their aspirations and make them globally employable by competing with their counterparts anywhere.
- It will act as the Centre for Industry Partnership and landing point for industries in Odisha for their employment needs.
- Serves as a center for capacity building for ITI and polytechnic teachers.
- Offers its first set of courses in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Mechanical and Electrical Services, Vertical Transportation, Precision Engineering, Mechatronics, and Electrical Technology.
- At first the center will train 3000 students in eight trades.
Personalities present over the inauguration:
- Skill Development and Technical Education Minister –Premananda Nayak
- Odisha Skill Development Authority, Chairman – Subroto Bagchi
- Asian Development Bank, DG – Kenichi Yokoyama
- ITEES, CEO –Bruce Poh
The achievements of ‘Skilled-in-Odisha’ were also highlighted in the event. The inauguration day was coincided with the birth anniversary of his late father and former CM Biju Patnaik.
Recent Related News:
On January 19, 2021, Jammu & Kashmir’s Department of Skill Development signed an MoU with IIT Jammu to increase the skill sets of students and their employability by exposing them to Latest Technologies.
Lakes – Chilika Lake (2nd largest brackish water lagoon in the world), Ansupa Lake, Pata Lake, Kanjia Lake.
Dams – Hirakud dam, Rengali dam, Indravati dam, Jalaput dam (between Andhra Pradesh and Odisha), Mandira dam, Patora dam.
About Asian Development Bank(ADB):
Headquarters – Metro Manila, Philippines
Establishment – 19th December 1966
President – Masatsugu Asakawa
Country Director for India – Takeo Konishi