On 23rd November 2022, Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister (CM) of Odisha, virtually launched AMLAN- Anaemia Mukta Lakhya Abhiyan, a multipronged approach to ensure the complete eradication of anaemia among women and children in Odisha.
- AMLAN will be implemented with the joint efforts of many departments including Health and Family Welfare, School and Mass Education, Women and Child Development, Mission Shakti and Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (ST & SC) Development Department.
- The CM also released the Operational Guidelines for AMLAN.
i. AMLAN will benefit about 1.37 crore people, including pregnant women, lactating mothers, women of reproductive age group, adolescents and children in Odisha.
ii. The major interventions of the programme are strengthening iron and folic acid supplementation, testing for haemoglobin, treatment of anaemic cases, capacity building of service providers and social behaviour change communication
iii. The programme will be implemented in 55,000 government and aided schools and 74,000 Anganwadi centres across Odisha.
iv. According to the National Family Health Survey-5 (NFHS-5), anaemia is a public health problem affecting 64.2% of children of six months to 59 months and 61.8% of pregnant women.
- Among non-pregnant women and girls, aged 15 and 19, it is up from 51% (2015-2016) to 65.5% (2020-2021).
CM Naveen Patnaik announces Special Package for Kendu Leaf Pluckers
CM Naveen Patnaik announced a special package for the welfare of around 8 lakh Kendu leaf pluckers and other workers engaged in the trade. With this, Odisha becomes the 1st State in India to give bonus to kendu leaf pluckers.
- Kendu leaf, referred to as Odisha’s green gold, is a significant non-wood forest product in Odisha.
Note: The government of India has imposed 18% Goods and Services Tax(GST) on kendu leaf business.
i. Under the 1st Phase of the special package, each kendu leaf plucker would receive Rs 1,000 and Rs 1,500 for each seasonal staff and binder.
ii. The package also includes provision for stipends for the offsprings of kendu leaf pluckers and other employees. Meritorious students will also be awarded at the district level.
iii. All kendu leaf pluckers and employees will be issued identity cards and will be covered under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY).
iv. The gratuity payment for kendu pluckers of a circle and leaf binders has been revised from 7 to 15 days.
Recent Related News:
On 26th October 2022, Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister (CM) of Odisha, launched a common credit portal ‘SAFAL‘ (Simplified Application for Agricultural Loans) for the welfare of farmers.
- SAFAL is India’s 1st online agricultural credit facilitation portal.
Governor- Ganeshi Lal
Wildlife sanctuaries- Gahirmatha sanctuary, Chilka Lake Bird Sanctuary
Airports- Biju Patnaik International Airport, Jharsuguda Airport