Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated 100 urban piped drinking water supply projects, with an objective to provide safe drinking water to every family in Odisha.
About Odisha :
Odisha is one of the 29 states of India, located in the eastern coast. It is surrounded by the states of West Bengal to the north-east, Jharkhand to the north, Chhattisgarh to the west and north-west, and Andhra Pradesh to the south and south-west.
- Odisha has 485 kilometres (301 mi) of coastline along theBay of Bengal on its east, from Balasore to Malkangiri. It is the 9th largest state by area, and the 11th largest by population. Odia is the official and most widely spoken language, spoken by 33.2 million according to the 2001 Census.
- The ancient kingdom of Kalinga, which was invaded by the Mauryan emperor Ashoka in 261 BCE resulting in the Kalinga War, coincides with the borders of modern-day Odisha.
- The modern state of Orissa was established on 1 April 1936, as a province inBritish India, and consisted predominantly of Odia-speaking regions.
- April 1 is celebrated as Odisha Day. The region is also known as Utkala and is mentioned in India’s national anthem, “Jana Gana Mana”.
- Cuttackwas made the capital of the region by Anantavarman Chodaganga in 1135, after which the city was used as the capital by many rulers, through the British era until 1948. Thereafter, Bhubaneswar became the capital of Odisha.
Drinking Water Projects :
The projects dedicated will cater to the needs of around 2 lakh people, the 100 proposed schemes will ensure safe water for lakhs of people in urban areas in the coming days.
- The chief minister also laid the foundation stones for 100 more driking water projects at the secretariat here through video conferencing.
- He also launched two new systems-Online Smart Water Information Management (OSWIM) and e-Building Pass for ensuring better management of supply of drinking water to the urban households and smoothen the permission process for construction of buildings respectively.
- The e-Building Pass system will simplify the building approval process. The time limit for getting various NOCs has been fixed. With this, people can easily get their building plan approval through online.