Odisha government chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik approved Odisha Fisheries Policy, 2015, to enhance the productivity and production of fish from the inland, brackish water and marine resources.
- Fisheries policy targets 7.15 lakh tonne of total fish production by the end of 2019-20 from present level of 4.13 lakh tonnes.
- The policy aims to develop additional 15,000 hectares new tank and ponds will be developed for freshwater aquaculture in 30 districts by 2020 which will create an additional direct employment for 60,000 persons.
- An increase in the inland fish production from 2.63 lakh tonnes at present to about 5.30 lakh tonnes in the next five years will be done through this policy.
- Additional direct employment to approximately 60,000 persons in fish farming and indirect employment to 1,20,000 persons in ancillary activitieswill be created.
- The freshwater fish productivity is aimed to be increased from 2.13 tonnes per hectare to 3.5 tonnes per hectare through extensive farming practices
- Productivity will be enhanced in semi-intensive and intensive systems to five tonnes and 10 tonnes per hectare.