India’s National Security Advisor (NSA) attended the 16th meeting of Security Council Secretaries of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) held at Dushanbe, Capital of Tajikistan. The meeting was held from June 23-24, 2021 and was chaired by Tajikistan (Chairmanship of SCO in 2021).
- National Security officials of the 8 member nations of SCO attended the meeting.
- The National Security officials discussed key regional security issues and also about the current situation in Afghanistan.
- All the participants also pledged cooperation in the joint fight against ‘International Terrorism, extremism, separatism, religious radicalism, organized crime and drug trafficking’.
i.India underlined the need to monitor new technologies used by Terrorists, drones, for smuggling of weapons and misuse of Dark Web, Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain and social media.
ii.India proposed an action plan against Pakistan-based Terrorist groups as part of the SCO Framework.
iii.India condemned terrorism in all forms and emphasised on the need for full implementation of UN resolutions and targeted sanctions against UN-designated terrorist individuals and entities.
iv.NSA Doval urged the member states to look at the possibility of signing an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to counter terror financing.
NSA Ajit Doval meets with Russian Counterpart Nikolai Patrushev
On the sidelines of the SCO meeting, NSA Ajit Doval held a meeting with Nikolai Patrushev, Secretary of the Security Council of Russia. They exchanged views on the situation in Afghanistan, and the Asia-Pacific region.
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
It is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance that was established in 2001 in Shanghai, China. Founding members are China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan.
i.Total members – 8; Observers – 4
- Members – China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan , Uzbekistan, India & Pakistan.
- Observers – Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran & Mongolia
- India & Pakistan joined SCO in 2017.
Recent Related News:
March 22, 2021, India, Pakistan, China & other members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) will take part in a Joint Anti-Terrorism Exercise called ‘Pabbi-Antiterror-2021’ scheduled to take place in 2021.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
Secretary-General – Vladimir Norov
Headquarters – Beijing, China
Chairmanship of 2021 – Tajikistan