Novak Djokovic won his 24th Grand Slam title at the US Open 2023 by defeating Daniil Medvedev in the men’s singles final at the Arthur Ashe Stadium(Hard Court), New York City, New York, United States of America(USA).
- The 143rd edition of the US Open was held from 28th August to 10th September 2023(Main-draw).
i. Novak Djokovic of Serbia won his 4th US Open title and 24th Grand Slam title by defeating Daniil Medvedev (ATP Ranking 3) of Russia.
- Djokovic equals Australian Margaret Court’s record haul of 24 Grand Slams.
- He is the first male player to win three out of four grand slams in the season (2023) including his Australian Open 2023, French Open 2023 and US Open 2023 in the open era.
- Novak Djokovic(36 years and 3 months) became the oldest player to win the US Open in the Open Era, surpassing Ken Rosewall(35 years and 10 months) in 1970.
- With this victory, Djokovic moved to first rank in the Pepperstone Association of Tennis Professionals(ATP) Rankings.
ii.Novak Djokovic has won a total of 24 Grand Slam titles which includes 3 French Open (2016, 2021, 2023), 10 Australian Open(2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023), 7 Wimbledon (2011, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022) and 4 US Open (2011, 2015, 2018, 2023).
i.Coco Gauff (Women’s Tennis Association WTA- Ranking 3) won her first Grand Slam title at the US Open 2023 by beating Aryna Sabalenka(WTA Ranking 1) in the Women’s Singles final.
- She became the youngest American women to win a major since 1999 where Serena Williams won at the age of 17 in 1999 US Open.
- The 19-year-old Coco Gauff became only the third American teenager to win the New York Major, the others being Tracy Austin (1979 and 1981) and Serena Williams (1999).
i.Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury won the men’s doubles title at the US Open by beating Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden in the final.
- Winning US Open 2023 was their third successive title at the US Open including their wins at 2021 & 2022.
- The 43 years and six months old Rohan Bopanna was the oldest player to reach a Grand Slam final in the Open era surpassing Canada’s Daniel Nestor record who was 43 years and 4 months old when he played the 2016 Australian Open final.
- This marks Rohan Bopanna’s second Grand Slam men’s doubles final, after the 2010 US Open with Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi.
i.Gabriela Dabrowski and Erin Routliffe won the women’s doubles title at the US Open by defeating 2020 US Open champions Vera Zvonareva and Laura Siegemund in the finals.
- Gabriela Dabrowski became the first Canadian player to win a women’s doubles Grand Slam title .
- Erin Routliffe became the first New Zealander to win any title at the US Open.
i.Harri Heliovaara and Anna Dalinina won the mixed doubles title at the US Open 2023 by defeating Jessica Pegula and Austin Krajicek in the finals.
- Harri Heliovaara became the first Finland player to win the mixed doubles title in the US Open.
- Anna Dalinina became the first Kazakhstan player to win a mixed doubles title at any Grand Slam.
Winners of the US Open 2023:
|Men’s Singles||Novak Djokovic(Serbia)||Daniil Medvedev (Russia)|
|Women’s Singles||Coco Gauff(USA)||Aryna Sabalenka(Belarus)|
|Men’s Doubles||Rajeev Ram (U) and|
Joe Salisbury (England)
|Rohan Bopanna(India) and|
|Women’s Doubles||Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada)and|
Erin Routcliffe(New Zealand)
|Vera Zvonareva(Russia) and Laura Siegemund (Germany)|
|Mixed Doubles||Harri Heliovaara(Finland) and|
|Jessica Pegula (USA)and|
50th Anniversary of Equal Prize Money:
i.US Open 2023 celebrates the 50th Anniversary of equal prize money for men and women tennis players.
- It was also the first grand slam to offer equal prize money since 1973.
i.Men’s and Women’s singles – Winner(USD 3,000,00) & Runner-Up(USD 1,500,000)
ii.Men’s and Women’s Doubles – Winner(USD 700,000) & Runner-Up(USD 350,000)
iii.Mixed Doubles – Winner(USD 170,000) & Runner-Up(USD 85,000)
Chase, J.P.morgan, American Express, Emirates
About US Open:
i. The first edition of the US Open was held in 1881.
- Althea Gibson became the 1st African-American to compete at the US Open in 1950.
Recent Related News:
i. Carlos Alcaraz defeated Novak Djokovic to claim his first Wimbledon title(2023) at the Gentlemen’s singles final Czech Republic’s Marketa Vondrousova became the first unseeded Women’s Singles champion at Wimbledon in the Open Era after defeating Ons Jabeur of Tunisia in the Ladies singles final.
ii.Novak Djokovic, Serbian professional tennis player, won his 23rd Grand Slam title (Men’s singles category) by defeating Casper Ruud of Norway in the French Open 2023 also known as 2023 Roland-Garros, Iga Świątek a Polish tennis player won the Women’s Singles title at the French Open 2023 by defeating Karolína Muchová, the Czech tennis player.
About The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP):
Chairman – Andrea Gaudenzi
Headquarters – London, United Kingdom
Established – 1972