During February 2018, Legislative Assembly Elections were held in three North Eastern States – Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland. Counting for all these Legislative Assembly Elections was held on March 3, 2018.
Tripura State Assembly Election 2018 – Result:
Tripura State Legislative Assembly election, 2018 was held on February 18, 2018 for 59 out of 60 seats.
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) along with its ally, Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) has won 43 seats and has thereby got the majority. BJP won has 35 seats while IPFT has won 8 seats.
- Incumbent Chief Minister Manik Sarkar’s Communist Party of India (Marxist) – CPI(M), that has been in power for 20 years, managed to get only 16 seats.
Quick Facts about Tripura:
- Capital – Agartala
- Current Governor – Tathagata Roy
- Important National Park – Rajbari National Park
Meghalaya State Assembly Election 2018 – Result:
Meghalaya State Legislative Assembly election, 2018 was held on February 27, 2018 for 59 out of 60 seats.
- Meghalaya State Legislative Assembly election threw a hung verdict as none of the parties contesting the election managed to get a clear majority.
- The ruling party, Indian National Congress led by incumbent Chief Minister Mukul Sangma won 21 seats and emerged as the single largest party. However, it fell short from attaining majority.
- By winning 19 seats, regional outfit, National People’s Party (NPP) has got the second highest number of seats.
- As per the latest development, NPP, BJP (2 seats) and three other parties will have an alliance under NPP’s leader Conrad Sangma to form a non-Congress Government in Meghalaya.
Quick Facts about Meghalaya:
- Capital – Shillong
- Current Governor – Ganga Prasad
- Important National Park – Nokrek National Park
Nagaland State Assembly Election 2018 – Result:
Nagaland State Legislative Assembly election, 2018 was held on February 27, 2018 for 59 out of 60 seats.
- Incumbent Chief Minister TR Zeliang’s Naga People’s Front (NPF) won 27 seats and emerged as single largest party. However, it fell short from attaining majority.
- As per latest development, BJP leader and north-east in-charge Ram Madhav and Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) chief Neiphiu Rio met Nagaland Governor PB Acharya on March 4, 2018 to stake claim to form the government in Nagaland.
- BJP (12 seats) and NDPP (17 seats) will form the government along with support from a Janata Dal (United) MLA and an independent.
Quick Facts about Nagaland:
- Capital – Kohima
- Current Governor – Padmanabha Acharya
- Important National Park – Ntangki National Park