On December 14, 2020, NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog publicized a white paper titled “Vision 2035: Public Health Surveillance in India” which was released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar; Member (Health) Dr Vinod K Paul; Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Amitabh Kant; and Additional Secretary Dr Rakesh Sarwal.
- The white paper was co-developed by NITI Aayog and University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. Both organizations inked a Letter of Agreement (LoA) for the same in 2020.
- It lays out India’s vision 2035 for public health surveillance through the integration of the three-tiered public health system into Ayushman Bharat.
Vision of White Paper:
- To make India’s public health surveillance system more responsive and predictive to enhance preparedness for action at all levels.
- Citizen-friendly public health surveillance systems will ensure individual privacy and confidentiality, enabled with a client feedback mechanism.
- Improved data-sharing mechanism between Centre and states for better disease detection, prevention, and control.
- To provide regional and global leadership in managing events that constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.
Building blocks for Vision:
- Interdependent federated system of governance between the Centre and states
- New data-sharing mechanism that involves the use of new analytics
- Data science including innovative ways of disseminating ‘information for action’
- Health informatics
What is a white paper?
It is an in-depth report or guide about a specific topic and the problems that surround it. It is meant to educate readers and help them to reach a specific decision.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 30, 2020 NITI Aayog released a draft model Act and rules for states on conclusive land titling. It was released to minimise litigation and ease the land acquisition process for infrastructure projects.
ii.On November 25, 2020, NITI Aayog released a compendium titled “Mitigation & Management of Covid-19- Practices from India’s States & Union Territories”.
About National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog:
Chairman–Prime Minister (Narendra Damodardas Modi)
Headquarter– New Delhi