On August 8, 2017, NITI Aayog announced partnership with six states (with three states for health sector reforms and three states for education sector reforms) under its Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital (SATH) initiative.
About Sustainable Action for Transforming Human capital (SATH) program:
Objective of this program is to identify and build three future ‘role model’ states for health and educations systems.
- NITI Aayog along with McKinsey & Company and IPE Global consortium will work in close collaboration with administrative machinery and institutions in the selected states to accomplish the end objectives.
Details about Selected States:
NITI Aayog has selected Uttar Pradesh, Assam, and Karnataka to improve healthcare delivery and key outcomes in these States.
- For Education sector, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, and Jharkhand have been selected for support to better learning outcomes.
- These six States have been chosen after a rigorous competitive process based on comprehensive metrics to determine potential for impact and likelihood of success.
- The chosen States have committed to time-bound, governance reforms in respective sectors.
- A Program Management Unit to push for efficiency and efficacy in governance structures and service delivery will now be available in the six chosen States for a period of 36 months.
- It is expected that these three years of focussed attention and support from the premier think tank will lead to a marked transformation and also provide a model for other States to replicate and adapt.
Quick Facts about NITI Aayog:
Abbreviation NITI stands for National Institution for Transforming India.NITI Aayog was formed on January 1, 2015 through a resolution of the Union Cabinet. It replaced the erstwhile Planning Commission.
- It is a ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India entrusted with the task of formulating strategic and long term policies and programmes and to provide appropriate technical advice to Centre and States.
- Prime Minister of India serves as the Ex-Officio Chairperson of NITI Aayog.
- Headquarters of NITI Aayog is located in New Delhi.