On May 17, 2017, first meeting of the National Steering Group and other knowledge partners was held in NITI Aayog. This meeting was co-chaired by Amitabh Kant – CEO of NITI Aayog and Ratan P Watal – Principal Adviser, NITI Aayog.
- Knowledge partners comprised 32 premier educational and policy research institutions. Representatives of four State Governments viz. Assam, Kerala, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh also attended the meeting.
Following were the objectives of Samavesh Meeting:
- To catalyse the development process
- To enhance institutional capacity development
- To establish a field level interface with the community for New India 2022
Highlights of NITI Aayog’s first Samavesh Meeting:
This meeting is the first ever initiative to bring the large number of institutions from diverse domain to deliberate together on the road map for inclusive development in India.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) were signed between NITI Aayog and major think tanks across the country to create network that will enable efficient knowledge sharing and information exchange. The knowledge and information will be applied for achieving achieve a sustainable and more inclusive development in line with the National Development Agenda, Sustainable Development Goals as well as the 15 year Vision, 7 year strategy and 3 year action plan.
- Amitabh Kant made a presentation which highlighted initiatives taken by NITI Aayog and how the institutions can collaborate for overall development of the country.
- A new link has been enabled on NITI Aayog’s website which will serve as a major repository of knowledge based reports and case studies across different sectors of the economy.
Quick Facts about NITI Aayog:
- Abbreviation NITI stands for National Institution for Transforming India.
- NITI Aayog was formed on January 1, 2015 through a resolution of the Union Cabinet. It replaced the erstwhile Planning Commission.
- It is a ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India entrusted with the task of formulating strategic and long term policies and programmes and to provide appropriate technical advice to Centre and States.
- Prime Minister of India serves as the Ex-Officio Chairperson of NITI Aayog.
- Headquarters of NITI Aayog is located in New Delhi.