The National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has presented the Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards to 75 women achievers through its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP), fifth edition, on March 21, 2022.
As the year 2022 marks the 75th year of India’s independence, and India is also celebrating it through the “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”, the WTI was conferred on 75 women achievers to celebrate their contribution towards a ‘Sashakt Aur Samarth Bharat’ (literal meaning Strong and Capable India).
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) is a Government of India (GoI) initiative by NITI Aayog to promote and support prospective as well as established women entrepreneurs in India, assisting and guiding them through the process of starting, scaling up, and expanding their businesses.
- The Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards are an annual initiative of the NITI Aayog to recognize the outstanding and ground-breaking efforts of India’s Women leaders and change-makers.
- The 75 Women Achievers were referred to as 75 Strong Roots for Tomorrow’s India who aid in building strong India through their self-sufficient businesses and overcoming challenges through unique solutions.
- WTI Awards are being launched in partnership with the United Nations(UN), CISCO CSR(Corporate Social Responsibility), Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry(FICCI) and Grant Thornton Bharat.
i.The event was presided over by Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI Aayog; Anna Roy, Senior Adviser of NITI Aayog, and Shombi Sharp, UN Resident Coordinator in India.
ii.The WEP Anthem was presented at the occasion, which was written, composed and sung by noted Bollywood singer Kailash Kher.
iii. The WTI Awards 2021 was presented under one or more than one of the following seven categories:
- Public and Community Service
- Manufacturing Sector
- Non-manufacturing Sector
- Financial Products enabling Economic Growth
- Climate Action
- Promote Art, Culture and Handicrafts
- Digital Innovation
iv.The platform provided business support to women entrepreneurs by conducting webinars and through the Masking It Up campaign during the COVID-19 pandemic.
List of 75 women Winners
- Payal Nath of Kolkata, co-founder of Kadam Haat is among the 75 women honoured as Women Transforming India by the NITI Aayog.
- Gitanjali J Angmo of Leh from Himalayan institute of Alternatives is among the 75 women honoured as Women Transforming India by the NITI Aayog.
- Akshya Shree of Tad Udyog Pvt. Ltd. from Tripura is among the 75 women honoured as Women Transforming India by the NITI Aayog…Click here for the full list of 75 awardees...
Some of the prominent achievers attended Women Transforming India Awards:
Kiran Bedi, former Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Puducherry,Lakshmi Puri, former Assistant Secretary-General of UN,Dr. Tessy Thomas, Director-General of Aeronautical Systems, Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO),Arundhati Bhattacharya, former Chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI),Debjani Ghosh, President of National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM),Ila Arun, eminent Actor, Singer & Writer,Salma Sultan, former news anchor at Doordarshan (DD),Dr. Sangeeta Reddy, Joint Managing Director of Apollo Hospitals,Shivani Malik, Managing Director of Da Milano Leathers Private Limited.
About National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog:
It is the premier policy think tank of the Government of India, providing directional and policy inputs formed through a resolution of the Union Cabinet.
Chairperson – Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
CEO – Amitabh Kant
Establishment – 1 January 2015.