The Government has launched ‘Nirmal Ganga Sahbhagita’ a sustainable initiative with Urban Local Bodies(ULBs) located on the banks of the river Ganga for achieving the objective of Clean Ganga.
Obejctive of the Programme :
- The initiative aims at sensitizing the ULBs about the pollution in river Ganga arising primarily due to dumping of solid waste in the river/nallas and to involve them in a long term engagement in stoppage of the solid waste flow from nallas/drains to the river.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) intends to enter in to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the ULBs for effective and fruitful engagement in this regard.
- The broad objective of the partnership is to involve the ULBs in the areas of solid waste management, installation and maintenance of clarifiers/screens in the nallas/drains to support primary treatment of waste water.
- Maintaining ‘litter free zones’ 500m along the river basin.
- It also encourages the volunteer force and youth in ghat cleaning .
- Providing livelihood for unemployed youth for monitoring health and litter free zone of the river.
- Public Outreach Activities.
- Formation of Ganga Project Implementation Units (PIU) in various towns to enable implementation of the ‘Clean Ganga’ Programme at the town level
About National Mission for Clean Ganga :
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is the implementation wing of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA).
- An autonomous society under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- NMCG is the coordinating body supported by States Level Programme Management Groups of the following states: Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jharkahnd, Bihar and West Bengal,as well as the National Capital Territory of Delhi.
- NMCG aims to ensure effective elimination of pollution.
- It also works for the rejuvenation of the Ganga river through a river basin approach for promotion of inter-sectoral coordination.
- It also works to maintain minimum ecological flows in the river to ensure water quality and sustainable development.
- The NMCG will also accept or provide grants and loans and undertake management of endowment trust, fund or donation in consonance with its objective.