National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed a complete ban on use of any king of plastic from Gomukh to Haridwar along Ganga with effect from February 1, 2016.
- The decision has been taken by a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar which also comprises of judicial member M S Nambiar and expert members D K Agrawal and B S Sajwan.
- Ganga cleaning project outlay – 258 crores; out of which Rs. 78 crore has been spent.
Penalties & Prohibitions
- Penalty of Rs. 5,000 per day will be slapped on hotels, dharamshalas and ashrams spewing waste into the river.
- Environmental compensation of Rs. 5,000 per incident will be imposed in case of throwing of any municipal waste, construction and demolition wastes into Ganga and its tributaries.
- Penalty of Rs. 20,000 per violation if any hospital is found throwing waste anywhere on land, water bodies or other places.
- Complete prohibition on use & sale of plastice. plastic carry bags/plastic plates, glasses, spoons, packages and allied items in all towns falling on the river Ganga and its tributaries.
- Fines ranging from 10 lakh rupees to 1 crore rupees on industrial units along the river for discharging waste.
Directions given by NGT
- All the projects would build their own sewage treatment plants (STPs) and make them operational within three months.
- To provide bio-degradable materials including jute bags and such other items, this can be permitted in the entire segment.
- To prepare an action plan to provide bio-toilets for pilgrims in Uttarakhand during the festive seasons.
- At least 100 meters from middle of the river Ganga would be treated and dealt with as “eco-sensitive and prohibited zone”.
- Area between 100 meters – 300 meters would be treated as regulatory zone in the hilly terrain. The area upto 200 meters shall be prohibited area in the plain terrain and area between 200 meters – 500 meters would be treated as regulatory zone.
Cleaning work of Ganga divided into different segments
- Gomukh to Haridwar
- Haridwar to Kanpur
- Kanpur to border of Uttar Pradesh
- Border of Uttar Pradesh to border of Jharkhand
- Border of Jharkhand to Bay of Bengal