Nepal is on a gender equality drive as it chooses its first woman Chief Justice, in a row of selecting women to top posts. Recently, the country got its first woman President and Speaker.
- Sushila Karki, the senior most of the judges in the Nepal’s Supreme Court has been nominated for the top post by the judicial council chaired by the Prime Minister, K P Oli.
- She will take charge as Nepal’s first woman President Bindya Bhandari, endorses her nomination and the current chief justice, Kalyan Shreshtha retires.
- The nation also chose Onsari Gharti Magar, a Maoist lawmaker as its first woman Speaker of Parliament
- Born in 1952 at Morang District, Nepal
- She completed BA (Arts) followed by Post Graduation in Political Science and Bachelor in Law by 1978.
- AWARDS (Awarded on Different Dates)
- Mahendra Bikram Smarak Trust (Essay on Human Rights)
- Sambhav Kanoon Puraskar
- Author of Gender Equality (Nepali Language)
- Nepal’s currency: Nepalese Rupee
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Name of the Parliament: Rashtriya Panchayat
- Name of the Supreme Court: Sarvochh Panchayat ( Nepali)