Capital city of Manipur, Imphal, has been hosting North East-ASEAN Business Summit 2016 at the City Convention Centre.
- The summit has been organized by the Manipur Department of Commerce and Industries in collaboration with Indian Chamber of Commerce and International Chamber for Service Industry.
- The inaugural session of the summit has been officiated by Manipur Speaker Th Lokeshwar Singh while Bangladesh Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed was the chief guest of the event.
NE-ASEAN Business Summit expects to pull in more visitors, exchange and business in NE-ASEAN. North East is in the middle of the three major economies viz. East Asia, South Asia and South East Asia.
Participants – Brunei High Commissioner, Ambassadors of Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam and 140 Indian delegates from outside the North East region.
Key topics of Summit:
- Regional conference on Ease of Doing Business
- Regional conference on Agro and Food Processing: Potential and Challenges
- Session on Empowering MSME in North East
Role of BBIN agreement in boosting Bangladesh GDP:
Last year, during the visit of PM Modi to Bangladesh, BBIN (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal) agreement was signed which enhanced the volume of trade.
- On the sidelines of this agreement Bangladesh opened a visa office in Guwahati.
- The GDP of Bangladesh has elevated by 7.05%.
- Now, Bangladesh has been exporting numerous agricultural products to around 107 countries including India.
Capitals – Imphal, Guwahati (Judiciary)
Chief Minister – Okram Ibobi Singh