National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is annually observed across India on 31st October to mark the birth anniversary of the “Iron Man of India” Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel, who is endeared as ‘Sardar’. He was the first deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of Independent India.
- 31st October 2022 marks the 147th birth anniversary of ‘Sardar’ Vallabhbhai Patel. He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat.
i.In 2014, the Government of India led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi introduced the observance of National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October of every year. ii.The day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel who played a major role in the political integration of India after independence.
- The first ever National Unity Day in India was celebrated on 31st October 2014.
Events of National Unity Day 2022:
Sardar Patel Memorial Lecture:
The Sardar Patel Memorial Lecture, the series of lectures started, was started in 1955 in memory of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
The lecture is organised by All India Radio (AIR) on 31st October every year to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
- Union Minister Anurag Singh Thakur, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting(MIB) and Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports(MYAS), delivered the 2022 Memorial lecture on the occasion of National Unity Day 2022.
- The lecture was also telecasted on the Doordarshan News.
- “Sardar Patel- Rashtriya Ekta Ke Shilpi” a program based on the profile of Sardar Patel and excerpts from the previous editions of the Sardar Patel Memorial Lecture was also broadcast on National Unity Day 2022.
Unity Run or Run for Unity:
Union Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, Ministry of Education & Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship led the Unity Run (Run for Unity) started at Delhi University.
PM Participated in the National Unity Day celebration in Kevadia, Gujarat:
Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India, paid homage to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel at the “Statue of Unity” and participated in the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas(National Unity Day) 2022 celebration events in Kevadia, Gujarat.
- The celebration of the day witnessed the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Parade which included the contingents of the Border Security Force(BSF) and of five State Police Forces (Northern Zone (Haryana), Western Zone (Madhya Pradesh), Southern Zone (Telangana), Eastern Zone (Odisha) and North Eastern Zone (Tripura))
- 6 Police Sports Medal winners of the Commonwealth Games 2022 also participated in the Parade.