National Naturopathy Day is annually observed across India on November 18 to ensure successful drug-free therapy for improving both physical and emotional well-being. The day aims to promote a drug-less system of medicine to prevent diseases by altering the diet and lifestyle.
- 18th November 2022 marks the observance of the 5th National Naturopathy Day.
- The annual observance of the day is led by the Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy).
The theme of 2022 National Naturopathy Day is “Naturopathy: An Integrative Medicine”.
Ministry of AYUSH declared November 18 of every year as National Naturopathy Day. The first-ever National Naturopathy Day was observed on 18th November 2018.
Why November 18?
18th November marks the day on which Mahatma Gandhi became the chairman of the Nature Cure Foundation Trust in 1945 and signed the agreement to ensure that the benefits of Nature Cure are available to all classes of people.
i. The Ministry of AYUSH launches Naturopathy Health and Consultation Camp on National Naturopathy Day.
- The camp was inaugurated by the honourable Speaker of Lok Sabha, Om Birla in the presence of Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister of AYUSH.
ii. Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy (CCRYN), New Delhi (Delhi) and the National Institute of Naturopathy(NIN), Pune (Maharashtra) organised the 5th Naturopathy day at World Peace Dome, MIT Art, Design and Technology (MIT-ADT) University, Pune, Maharashtra, between 18th and 19th November 2022.
International Conference on Naturopathy:
- CCRYN is organizing for the 1st time an “International Conference on Naturopathy” in association with the World Naturopathic Federation (WNF).
- The conference will also have a workshop on systematic reviews & meta-analyses organized by the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore for young researchers.
- The conference will see deliberations on the topics such as functional foods, naturopathic nutrition, spa and wellness, naturopathy in public health, the medicinal value of foods, etc.
i. In the 1800s, Germany brought the Naturopathy method to the United States.
ii. The term Naturopathy was coined by John Schell in 1895 and popularised by Benedict Lust.
- Benedict Lust was recognised for spreading knowledge of Naturopathy in the US in 1992 and is known as the founder of modern-day Naturopathy.
iii. The oldest kind of medicine, naturopathy combines traditional and natural treatment with current scientific understanding.
Naturopathy in India:
i. With the translation of German author Louis Kuhne’s book, “New Science of Healing,” Naturopathy saw a revolution in India.
ii. The translation was done in the Telugu language by D. Venkat Chelapati Sharma in 1894.
iii. Later, it was translated into Hindi and Urdu languages in 1904 by Shroti Kishan Swaroop.
National Institute of Naturopathy (Pune):
i. The National Institute of Naturopathy was established on 22nd December 1986 and is administered by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare. It is a registered organisation under the Societies Registration Act of 1860.
ii. The National Institute of Naturopathy is situated in a historic building named ’Bapu Bhavan’, Pune, Maharashtra.
About the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH):
Minister- Sarbananda Sonowal (Rajya Sabha)
Minister of State (MoS)- Dr Mahendra Munjapara (Constituency- Surendranagar, Gujarat)