The Rajya Sabha or upper house of the Parliament of India. The maximum members of Rajya Sabha are 250 whereas currently 245 are elected. In which 233 members are elected by state and territorial legislatures using single transferable vote and remaining 12 are nominated by the President on recommendations of Government for their contributions to Art, Literature, Science and Social Services.
- President Pranab Mukherjee having powers to nominate the members of Rajya Sabha from various fields such Literature, Science, Sports, Art and Social Service on the recommendation of the government.
- On 23rd April 2016, Our President has nominated the six personalities from different fields
The Six personalities are
- BJP leader Subramanian Swamy
Earlier he was elected as RajyaSabha Member in 1974. Educated from Harvard University
- BJP leader Navjot Singh Sidhu
A cricketer turned Politician. He was denied a re-nomination from Amritsar LokSabha Constituency.
- BJP Leader Narendra Jadhav
The Economist with a Phd Degree in Economics from Indiana University USA
- Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi
Popular Malayalam Actor Gopi holds master Degree in English and Winner of National Film Award and Filmfare award
- Journalist Swapan Dasgupta
The Journalist and Commentator and worked as senior editorial positions in various Publications in India Today, The Indian Express and the Times of India
- Boxer Mary Kom
An Olympic Bronze medalist in boxing and belongs to Sino-Tibetan speaking tribe of Manipur.
The NDA party has a speech with their leaders to recommend the Journalist Rajat Sharma and Actor AnupamKher in the nominated List