Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has unveiled a National Biotechnology Development Strategy -2015-2020.
Aim – To establish India as a world-class bio-manufacturing hub
Mission – Creation of new biotech products, to create a strong infrastructure for R&D and commercialization and empower India’s human resources scientifically and technologically.
The Key elements of the Strategy are:
- Building a skilled workforce and leadership.
- Revitalizing the knowledge environment at par with the growing bio-economy.
- Enhance Research opportunities in basic, disciplinary and inter-disciplinary sciences.
- Encourage use-inspired discovery research.
- Focus on biotechnology tools for inclusive development.
- Nurturing innovation, translational capacity and entrepreneurship.
- Ensuring a transparent, efficient and globally best Regulatory system and communication strategy.
- Biotechnology cooperation- Fostering global and national alliances.
- Strengthen Institutional Capacity with redesigned governance models.
- Create a matrix of measurement of processes as well as outcome.
The key elements would be implemented in collaboration and partnership with other Ministries, Departments, State Governments and international agencies towards achieving:
- Making India ready to meet the challenge of achieving US$100bn by 2025.
- Launching Four Major Missions – Healthcare, Food and Nutrition, Clean Energy and
- Creating a Technology Development and Translation network across the country with global partnership-5 new clusters, 40 Biotech incubators, 150 TTOs, 20 Bio-connect centres.
- Strategic and focussed investment in building the Human Capital by creating a Life Sciences and Biotechnology Education Council.