The 26th National Conference on e-Governance (NCeG), was organised on the 25th and 26th of August 2023 at Brilliant Convention Centre, Indore, Madhya Pradesh(MP), to deliberate on providing better facilities to the citizens.
- During the conference, the National Award for e-Governance 2022-23 (NAeG 2023) were presented for exemplary implementation of e-Governance initiatives.
- The 26th NCeG was organised on the theme ‘Viksit Bharat, Empowering Citizens’.
NCeG 2023 was inaugurated by Om Prakash Sakhalecha, Minister of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises and Science & Technology, Governemnt of MP.
- NCeG 2023, the two-day conference, was organised by the Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), in collaboration with the Government of Madhya Pradesh.
- The confernece has been annually held since 1997. Every year the event is jointly organised by DARPG and MeitY in partnership with one State Government
- The 25th NCeG was held on 26th – 27th November 2022 in Katra, Jammu & Kashmir(J&K). The theme of the 2022 Conference was “Bringing Citizens, Industry, and Government closer”.
Objective: To provide a platform for policymakers, practitioners, industry leaders, and academicians to deliver, discuss, and recommend an actionable strategy for good governance and to improve the standard of public services rendered to the common man.
i.Representatives from 28 states and 9 Union Territories (UTs) along with academia, Research Institutions, as well as industry, have participated in the conference.
ii.9 sub-themes including District-level initiatives; Emerging technologies for providing citizen-centric services; Role of Research and Development (R&D) in citizen-centric services were discussed at the conference.
iii.An Exhibition was also organised during the event to showcase India’s achievements in the field of e-Governance, along with a Wall of Fame/photo exhibition on the 2022’s Awardees.
What is e-governance?
i.E-governance, meaning ‘electronic governance’ is using Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) (such as Wide Area Networks (WANs), the Internet, and mobile computing) at various levels of the government and the public sector and beyond, for the purpose of enhancing governance.
ii.In the goal for ‘Minimum Government, Maximum Governance,’ e-governance has emerged as a transformative force.
National Award for e-Governance 2022-23
National Award for e-Governance, 2022-23 (NAeG 2022-23) were conferred to various Department/Organisation/Institutions for the best achievement in the implementation of e-Governance innovation, and the efforts made to fast-track the implementation of an initiative/technology/project or program.
A total of 16 awards (8 gold and 8 silver) were presented under 5 categories:
- Government Process Reengineering for Digital Transformation
- Application of Emerging Technologies for Providing Citizen-Centric Services
- District-level initiative in eGovernance
- Research on Citizen Centric Services by Academic/Research Institutions
- Application of Emerging Technologies in Governance by Startups
Gold Award: It consists of a Trophy, a Certificate, and a Cash Incentive of Rs 10 Lakh for the Organization and a Certificate for each team member not exceeding 4 in number (including the Project Head).
Silver Award: It consists of a trophy and certificates same as in the Gold award but the Cash Incentive is Rs 5 Lakh for the Department/ Organization/Institution.
NAFIS of NCRB gets DARPG’s Gold Award for Excellence in Category-1
The National Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NAFIS) team of the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) won the Gold Award under the Excellence in Government Process Reengineering for Digital Transformation (Category-1) of the NAeG 2022-23 from the DARPG, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The award recognised the dedication of the NAFIS team in creating a fool-proof fingerprint identification system.
- NAFIS, developed by the NCRB, is a centralised database of criminal fingerprints. This helps in the quick and easy disposal of cases.
West Bengal Government’s Suvidha Vehicles System wins Gold Award for Efficient Trade Facilitation
The West Bengal government also received a Gold Award in the Government Process Reengineering for Digital Transformation Category 1 of the NAeG 2022-23 from the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions for the Suvidha Vehicles Facilitation System.
- The award is a recognition of the West Bengal government’s efforts to improve trade facilitation and reduce the time and cost of doing business in West Bengal.
West Bengal’s Suvidha Vehicles Facilitation System initiative was launched to ease the traffic flow of trucks at the India-Bangladesh border in Petrapole, which is the largest land Port in South Asia.
SVAMITVA Scheme of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj won Gold in NAeG 2022-23
SVAMITVA (Survey of Villages Abadi and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas) Scheme of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj received the Gold Award in the Application of Emerging Technologies for Providing Citizen Centric Services, Category 2 of the NAeG 2022-23.
- The representatives of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Survey of India, and National Informatics Centre (NIC)-Geographic Information System (GIS) received the Award conferred to SVAMITVA Scheme from Dr. Jitendra Singh, MoS, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
Recent Related News:
On May 25, 2023, Kerala became India’s first fully e-governed state as it successfully digitized a range of government services for prompt and transparent delivery to its citizens.
About Ministry Of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions:
Union Minister- Narendra Modi (Constituency- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State- Dr. Jitendra Singh (Constituency- Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir)