The National Association of Software and Services Company’s (NASSCOM) Data Security Council of India (DSCI), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) and Google India had collaborated together to launch a nationwide awareness campaign ‘Digital Payment Abhiyan‘. The campaign was launched by the Communications and Electronics & Information Technology (IT) Minister Mr Ravi Shankar Prasad on September 19, 2019 at the 5th edition of Google for India event in New Delhi.
- The campaign in 7 languages – Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Bengali and Marathi is aimed to educate people on the benefits of making digital payments and adopt security and safety best practices.
- The digital payments ecosystem partners to expand the program are Airtel Payments Bank Ltd, Axis Bank, BharatPe, Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Karnataka, Google Pay, Government of Telangana, HDFC Bank, MasterCard, National Bank of Agriculture & Rural Development (NABARD), National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), Paypal, Paytm Payments Bank Limited, PayU, State Bank of India (SBI) and VISA.
Launch of other initiatives
- Google launched an integrated payment, jobs app and its first Google Research India- an artificial intelligence (AI) research lab in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- It partnered with Swiggy, Dunzo, 24Seven, Fabhotels and HealthKart to post jobs on the platform.
- The jobs platform is part of a bigger “Spot” platform which was added to Google Pay.
- The AI lab is by Manish Gupta, a computer scientist and an Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) fellow.
- Google partnered with National Skills Development Corporation (NSDC) and Skill India to introduce the job-centric Spot codes to offline locations and NSDC centres.
- Google and Vodafone-Idea entered into an agreement to introduce Google Assistant to 2G and feature phone users. Google Assistant function will be made available in 9 local languages in India.
- Hindi is the second-most used ‘Assistant’ language globally after English.
♦ Founded: 1998, California
♦ Founders: Larry page, Sergey Brin
♦ Headquarters: California
♦ CEO: Sundar Pichai