Dr Nasim Zaidi on 19 April 2015 assumed the charge as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). He is India’s 20th CEC and succeeded Hari Shankar Brahma, who had retired on April 18, 2015.
At present, Dr Zaidi will be the sole member of the three-member Election Commission till the government fills up the two vacant posts of election commissioners. Dr Zaidi will have tenure of two years i.e. till he attains the age of 65 in July 2017.
He was speaking to media soon after he took over charge as the chief-Election-Commissioner. Some of the measures stated are
- Enabling e-services to voters; starting from enrollment stage.
- The strategy for the next 10 to 15 years would strive to bring transparency, efficiency and professional approach to all its transactions.
- The election process would be made free from political interferences
About Syed Nasim Ahmed Zaidi
- Holds masters degree in Public-Administration from “Harvard-University” ;Post-Graduate-Diploma in Business-Finance from Indian-Institute-of-Finance; Doctorate in Bio-Chemistry.
- Worked as I.A.S Civil-Servant in Uttar-Pradesh cadre in 1976-batch
- Permanent-Representative of India , council of I.C.A.O 2005-2008
- Secretary to Indian-Government in Ministry-of civil-Aviation -Till July 2012
- Got associated with Election-Commission in 2012
- His tenure as C.E.C will be for two years; till July 2017
- His term as C.E.C can be terminated only through a parliament-impeachment