Union Minister for Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar virtually launched the National Mobile Monitoring Software app (NMMS) & Area officer monitoring App for monitoring the MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme) worksites.
- The apps will help in bringing transparency, accountability in the execution of Rural Development programmes.
- NMMS App facilitates taking of real time attendance of workers at MGNREGS worksites along with geotagged photographs.
- The Area Officer Monitoring App will help Supervisory officials to record their findings online along with time stamped and geo-coordinate tagged photographs.
i.NMMS app will help in increasing the citizen oversight of MGNREGS and will enable fast processing of payments to the workers.
ii.Using the Area Officer Monitoring App, Supervisory officials can keep record of inspection. It will help in analysis of findings for better programme implementation.
- It will be used for monitoring schemes of the Department of Rural Development such as MGNREGS, Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin(PMAY-G), and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
i.Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) also known as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) was enacted on August 25, 2005.
- It provides a legal guarantee for 100 days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household.
- The Ministry of Rural Development monitors the implementation of the scheme in association with state governments.
- The Central government fixes state-wise wage rates for unskilled manual workers; it is based on the CPI-AL (Consumer Price Index- Agriculture Labor) reflecting inflation in rural areas.
ii.Government has enhanced the outlay of MGNREGS for the year 2020-21 from INR 61, 500 to 1.11 Lakh Crore.
- 99% wage payment under MGNREGA is made directly into the bank account of workers by Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) through the National electronic Fund Management System (NeFMS).
Recent Related News:
April 8, 2021, The Ministry of Rural Development stated that 92% of targets have been completed in the 1st Phase of the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana- Gramin (PMAY-G) scheme i.e. from 2016-17 to 2018-19.
About Ministry of Rural Development
Union Minister – Narendra Singh Tomar (Morena, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State – Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti (Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh)