Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar has chaired 11th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) Agriculture Ministers meeting virtually.
- The theme of the meeting was “BRICS Partnership for Strengthening Agro Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition Security”. The major outcomes of the meeting are
i.BRICS Agriculture Research Platform (BARP)
- BARP created to enhance agricultural cooperation among BRICS countries
- It will promote cooperation in the areas of agricultural research, extension, technology transfer, training & capacity building.
ii.Action plan 2021-24 for agricultural cooperation among BRICS countries adopted
- It focuses on the themes of food security, welfare of farmers, conservation of agrobiodiversity, resilience of food & agricultural production systems, promotion of digital agricultural solutions etc. which are integral to the sustainable development of agriculture.
Bhupender Yadav Chairs 7th BRICS Environment Ministers meeting, 2021
Union Minister for Environment, Forests,& Climate Change (MoEFCC), Bhupender Yadav has chaired the 7th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) Environment Ministers meeting, 2021 held virtually.
- During the meeting, the ‘New Delhi Statement on Environment’, was adopted which aims at furthering the spirit of Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation & Consensus in Environment among the BRICS Nations.
- India has launched an initiative of BRICS Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy Dialogue which is to facilitate an exchange of knowledge and best practices on waste management, resource efficiency and circular economy.
Recent Related News
In May 2021, The 1st BRICS Employment Working Group (EWG) Meeting in virtual format was held in New Delhi. The Meeting was hosted by India, which assumed the BRICS Presidency in 2021. The meeting was chaired by Apurva Chandra, Secretary, Labour and Employment.
Establishment – 2009
Members– Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
2021 Chair– India