National Democratic Alliance (NDA) leader Narendra Damodardas Modi had taken oath as Prime Minister for the second consecutive term. Along with Narendra Modi, total 57 ministers had taken the oath of Office and Secrecy which is administered by President Ram Nath Kovind. An oath taking ceremony was held on the forecourts of the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Out of total 57 council of ministers, 24 cabinet ministers had taken oath including Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh, Nirmala Sitharaman, Smriti Irani and Piyush Goyal, 9 as Minister of State with Independent Charge and another 24 as Minister of State.
- This time, one-third of the total Cabinet Ministers was first timers which include BJP President Amit Shah and former Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar. Two former Chief Ministers – Ramesh Pokhriyal from Uttarakhand and Arjun Munda from Jharkhand had also included in the cabinet first time.
- In the second term of Modi government, Uttar Pradesh had a maximum representation of 10 faces in the council of ministers, which was followed by 7 from Maharashtra, 6 from Bihar and 4 from Madhya Pradesh.
- The oath taking ceremony was attended by leaders from Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries and foreign envoys, Governors, Chief Ministers, Opposition leaders, corporate heads and film stars.
- United Arab Emirates Capital, Abu Dhabi had celebrated Prime Minister Narendra Modi swearing-in ceremony.
Guest List of PM Modi’s Swearing-in Ceremony
i. A total of more than 8,000 guests have attended the oath taking ceremony of PM Narendra Modi.
ii. Foreign Guests – There were number of foreign guests who attended the oath taking ceremony which include all leaders from all Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries and leader of Mauritius and Kyrgyzstan.
- President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid.
- President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena
- Prime Minister of Nepal KP Sharma Oli.
- President of Myanmar U Win Myint
- Bhutanese Prime Minister Lotay Tshering
- From Thailand, its Special Envoy Grisada Boonrach will represent the country at the ceremony.
- Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth.
- President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov.
iii. Indian Leaders – There are also number of Indian leader have attended the swearing-in ceremony which include:
- Chief Ministers of all states had been invited. However, the West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik and Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Singh Bhaghel, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy and Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had not attended the event.
- Opposition leaders like Congress President Rahul Gandhi, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi had also attended the ceremony.
iv. Businessmen – Mukesh Ambani, Gautam Adani, Ratan Tata, Ajay Piramal and John Chambers had attended the swearing-in ceremony.
v. Indian Sportsperson – Former sprinter P T Usha, U-19 cricket coach Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble, Javagal Srinath, Harbhajan Singh, badminton ace Saina Nehwal, badminton coach Pulella Gopichand and gymnast Dipa Karmakar had attended the ceremony.
vi. Indian Filmstars – Superstar Rajnikanth, Kamal Hassan, Kangana Ranaut, Shah Rukh Khan, Sanjay Bhansali, Karan Johar and Shahid Kapoor had also attended the swearing-in ceremony.
PM Modi bilateral meetings with foreign leaders
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had hold a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Jugnauth. Both the leaders had agreed to work together to achieve the shared vision and growth of both the countries and Indian Ocean region.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had hold a bilateral meeting with President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena. President Sirisena had congratulated the PM for victory of his Party in the recently-held General Elections. Both the countries had agreed to work together to strengthen relations between the two countries for peace, prosperity and security in our region.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had hold a bilateral meeting with President of Kyrgyz Republic, Mr. Sooronbay Sharipovich Jeenbekov. President Jeenbekov congratulated the PM and invited him to visit Kyrgyzstan for the SCO Summit and a bilateral visit during 13-15 June, 2019.
- PM Narendra Modi had also held bilateral meetings with Prime Minister of Nepal K P Sharma Oli, and Prime Minister of Bhutan Lotay Tshering.