A Major achievement and progress in the field of Astronomy, the Aryabhatta Research Institute for Observational Sciences abbreviated as ARIES the first optical telescope is set to be inaugurated by PM Modi in Nainital.
- It is a combined effort of Indian, Russian and Belgian scientists to develop a telescope to study the structure of stars and further promote the research
- It was a contract undertaken by the Aries and Belgian company- Advanced Mechanical and Optical Systems in March , 2007
- ARIES is India’s first and largest optical telescope that is developed as a product of Indo-Belgian collaboration
- The total cost of the project is 120 crores and 7% was funded by Belgium
- ARIES is the largest telescope in Asia located at Devasthal near Nainital
- It has a 6 m diameter wide primary mirror and it is a infrared steerable optical telescope located at 2500m height
- It was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi and Belgium PM through remote from Belgium.
- It will be used for research about the structure of stars and magnetic field structure of stars
Points to note
- Belgium capital-Brussels
- Belgium PM-Charles Michel
- ARIES acting Director- Wahab Uddin