Paris most prestigious honour ” Grand Vermeil” was presented to tennis star Rafael Nadal on Thursday 21st May 2015 at an event held at city’s Hotel de ville.
Nadal was termed as ”the most Parisian of Mallorcans” while receiving the award from Paris Spainish- born mayor Anne Hidalgo.
- Mayor while praising Nadal’s contributions said that the history of Roland Garros cannot be written without the name of Raphael Nadal.
- Hidalgo heaped praises on Nadal saying that he was an exemplary champion who maintained humility and one who does not hide behind his fame.
- Nadal said Paris formed ”most important city” in his carrier, and the city where he came of ”age as a sportsman” .
- ”Roland Garros is tennis and Roland Garros is Paris” Nadal said regarding one of the the famous tennis courts in the world.
- Rafael Nadal also explained why he considered French open so important in his carrier as it only made him more mature and changed his life ten years back.
- Nadal also said that the present honour by Paris was high when compared to his success at Philippe Chatrier Court.
- Current World Number 7 also thanked those who had presented this honour that puts him on par with other personalities belonging to the history of the city of Paris.
- Nadal’s uncle and coach Tony Nadal talked about total satisfaction regarding winning French Open titles and also about the city of Paris.
- At a function in Madrid, Spain earlier in the month of May, Nadal was bestowed with Gold medal from Spain PM Mariano Rajoy.
Rafael Nadal– who is he??
- He was born on 3rd June 1986 in Manacor, Spain.
- Nadal was widely regarded as the best clay court player in the history.
- In 2008 he won Olympic gold singles.
- Total career titles – 65, highest rank no 1 in 2008.
- Present rank no 7 in 2015.
- 128036 Rafael Nadal is main belt asteroid named after him
- In 2011 he was named Laureus World Sportsman of the Year.