It must be a historical moment for Myanmar as its selects its first Civilian President, Htin Kyaw, in fifty years of military rule. He is a close ally of Aung Sang Suu Kyi, who became victorious in the last national elections. However, she herself cannot hold the constitutional post.
- The president is chosen from candidates put forward by each of the two houses of parliament, in addition to a third nominee from the military.
Who is Htin Kyaw?
- Kyaw has played a senior role at the Daw Khin Kyi Foundation, the charity founded in honour of Suu Kyi’s late mother.
- A close aid to Aung San Suu Kyi.
AUNG SAN SUU KYI:
- Known as Myanmar’s “The Lady”
- Leader of NLD*
- She cannot hold Presidency as the constitution bars anyone with children who are citizens of another country from holding the post. Her sons are British citizens
- She won the historic elections held in November 2015 which was the first one of its kind in 25 years.
- She spent around two decades under house arrest, becoming an internationally recognized symbol of democracy and the country’s most popular politician.
- Capital: Naypyidaw
- Currency: Burmese Kyat
- Leading Political Party: National League for Democracy( NLD)*
- Parliament: Hluttaw
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification