On March 6, 2020 the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) & the World Bank organized a discussion programme on the topic “The Future of Work: Women in India’s Workforce” at New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Minister of WCD, Smriti Zubin Irani & Dr. Junaid Kamal Ahmad, Country Director India, World Bank. It is a part of a series of events to observe International Women’s Day 2020.Major Highlights
- The WCD minister announced a diet plan for women & lactating mothers for the 1st time, formulated by Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) . It is shared with all Anganwadi centres across the country.
- To ensure counselling and improve the quality of counsellors in schools across all districts in the country WCD Ministry is working with National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS)
- About various government interventions for women entrepreneurs, their skilling & training & the hurdles faced by them when they wish-to setup their own business,to avail bank loan & to join the workforce.
- The central role of women in India’s growth story, investing in women & stories of women entrepreneurs 3 discussion sessions were held.
Problems faced by women & efforts made by Government of India(GOI)
- In India there is only 23% of women labour force due to child care, domestic work and lack of female friendly environment in the workforce.Before the age of 20,1 in 5 girls are married & school dropout rates are high.
- These problems cannot be quickly fixed as they have their origin in the long past. GOI through various policies & schemes like National Rural Livelihood Mission, MUDRA, skill development, Stand up India and POSHAN is trying to enhance, empower & employ women in the labour force.
Prime persons attended
Secretary of Food Processing Industry-Pushpa Subrahmanyam,Secretary of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship-Praveen Kumar,Additional Secretary in the department of Financial Services-Sanjeev Kaushik & Special Secretary of WCD-Ajay Tirkey were present along with women entrepreneurship & other stakeholders.
About World Bank:
Headquarters– Washington, D.C., United States
President– David R. Malpass
Director General– Prof. Balram Bhargava
Headquarters– New delhi, India