Minister of State(I/C) for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy, launched the Pradhan Mantri YUVA Yojana, MSDE’s flagship scheme on entrepreneurship education and training, marking the 2nd Foundation Day of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship is an Ministry of Government of India set up on 9 November 2014 to coordinate all skill development efforts across the country.
- Industrial Training and Apprenticeship and other skill development responsibilities were transferred from the Ministry of Labour and Employment to this newly made Ministry on 16 April 2015.
- It aims to remove disconnect between demand and supply of skilled manpower, to build the new skills and innovative thinking not only for existing jobs but also jobs that are to be created.
- Skill India is an initiative of the Government of India which has been launched to empower the youth of the country with skill sets which make them more employable and more productive in their work environment. National Skill Mission is chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi
- India is a country with 65% of its youth in the working age group. If ever there is a way to reap this demographic advantage, it has to be through skill development of the youth so that they add not only to their personal growth, but to the country’s economic growth as well.
- Skill India offers courses across 40 sectors in the country which are aligned to the standards recognised by both, the industry and the government under the National Skill Qualification Framework.
- The courses help a person focus on practical delivery of work and help him enhance his technical expertise so that he is ready for day one of his job and companies don’t have to invest into training him for his job profile.
- The Skill Mission launched by the Prime Minister on 15 July 2015, has gathered tremendous steam under the guidance of Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, during the last one year.
The target to train more than a crore fresh entrants into the Indian workforce has been substantially achieved for the first time. 1.04 Crore Indians were trained through Central Government Programs and NSDC associated training partners in the private sector.
About the Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana :
The scheme spans over five years (2016-17 to 2020-21) with a project cost of Rs. 499.94 crore, and will provide entrepreneurship education and training to over 7 lakh students in 5 years through 3050 Institutes.
- It will also include easy access to information and mentor network, credit, incubator and accelerator and advocacy to create a pathway for the youth.
- MSDE’s two institutions dedicated to entrepreneur education and training – NIESBUD and IIE- have trained more than 7 lakh trainees including 2,600 persons from more than 125 countries in the field of entrepreneurial skills till date.
- After becoming a part of this Ministry, these two institutes are now focusing on mentorship of budding entrepreneurs across the country and succeed so far and we are determined to create more opportunities of employment for our youth through this initiative.
- The institutes under the PM’s YUVA Yojana include 2200 Institutes of Higher Learning (colleges, universities, and premier institutes), 300 schools, 500 ITIs and 50 Entrepreneurship Development Centres, through Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
- MSDE also unveiled the Lab Guidelines towards standardisation of lab equipment across skill development training centres in India at the conference.
- These guidelines specify the number of job roles that can be done in a lab, standard lab layout, and available brands of equipment which should be used. These guidelines will pave a pathway in increasing the employability of trained candidates across States ensuring industry standards.
It is noted that MSDE has plans to disburse around Rs 7,000 crore to states to help align them with the Centre’s skill development agenda.