On January 22, 2021, Union Minister Arjun Munda, Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) virtually launched a National Migration Support Portal namely “Shramshakti” from New Delhi. Originally, the launch programme was held at Panjim, Goa.
- The focus of the portal is the smooth formulation of state and national level programs for migrant workers.
- He also released a booklet titled ‘Margadarshika’.
Need for portal
As we all know, our migrant population faced the biggest challenges in COVID-19 restrictions. The government was also facing problems in formulating effective strategies for their welfare due to lack of their real time data. In this scenario, the migration of the tribal population suffered a lot with unsafe conditions including trafficking or wages harassment.
In order to counter this, the portal has been launched that acts as a repository by addressing the data gap and empowering the migrant workers.
- It will also help the government for linking the migrant population with the existing Welfare Scheme under Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- The various data that will be recorded include demographic profile, livelihood options, skill mapping and migration pattern.
The minister also launched a tribal migration cell, a tribal museum at Goa and “ShramSaathi”, a training manual for migrant workers.
- It will ensure the process of livelihood migration is safe and productive.
- This training manual will raise awareness among migrant workers about their rights and entitlements related to livelihood and social security at their village before migration, as well after migration at destination towns and cities.
Migration cell in Goa:
Goa is the first destination state of India to set up a dedicated migration cell to address the issues of migrant workers who come from different States to Goa.
- The cell will cater to the multiple needs of migrants viz. legal support, skill development, job linkages, access to public services health, insurance, financial inclusion
Other Key Participants: Minister of State (MoS) Renuka Singh Saruta, MoTA and Secretary, MoTA Deepak Khandekar, Chief Minister (CM) of Goa Dr Pramod Ji Sawant.
Recent Related News:
i.Union Minister Arjun Munda E-launched new Tribes India Outlet at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport or also called International Airport, Guwahati in Assam.
ii.Goa CM Pramod Sawant has launched a One Time Settlement(OTS) Scheme 2020 a state welfare scheme from the Department of Electricity to provide waivers for the pending electricity bill payments.
Wildlife Sanctuaries– Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhagwan Mahavir Sanctuary, Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, and Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary
Birds Sanctuary– Dr.Salim Ali Birds Sanctuary