The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) has decided to celebrate the 1st May 2022 as Ujjwala Diwas to celebrate the achievements of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY).
- The PMUY was launched by Prime Minister(PM) Narendra Modi on 1st May 2016 at Ballia, Uttar Pradesh(UP) as a step toward providing Free LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) connection to every Below Poverty Line (BPL) household.
Events of Ujjwala Diwas:
i.Rameshwar Teli, Minister of State for MoPNG preside over a Ujjwala Diwas celebration programme at Dibrugarh, Assam.
- He also hands over LPG connections to new Ujjwala beneficiaries.
ii.On the occasion of the Ujjwala Diwas(1st May 2022), Oil marketing companies which include Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL), organised more than 5000 LPG panchayats where apart from experience sharing, aimed at safe and sustained usage of LPG, all-out efforts will be made to maximise customer enrolment.
iii.Other events organised as a part of Ujjwala Diwas were,
- Distribution of new connections under Ujjwala 2.0.
- Explaining the details of new PMUY categories and collection of KYC forms for the ongoing Ujjwala 2.0 scheme.
- Organizing Free Hot Plate service camps.
- Organization of Safety clinics.
- Facilitation of Ujjwala beneficiaries.
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY):
MOPNG introduced the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY) in May 2016, as a flagship scheme with an objective to make clean cooking fuels such as LPG available to the rural and deprived households that use traditional cooking fuels such as firewood, coal, cow-dung cakes.
- The scheme targeted to release 8 Crore LPG Connections to the deprived households by March 2020.
- In 2019, PM Modi handed over the 8th crore LPG connection in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- 8 Crore LPG connections under the scheme supported in increasing the LPG coverage from 62% on 1st May 2016 to 99.8% as of 1st April 2021.
i.PM Modi virtually launched the Ujjwala 2.0 (Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – PMUY) yojana on 10th August 2021 by handing over the LPG connections at Mahoba, Uttar Pradesh.
ii.Along with a deposit free LPG connection, Ujjwala 2.0 will provide the first refill and a hotplate free of cost to the beneficiaries.
About Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG):
Union Minister– Hardeep Singh Puri(Rajya Sabha- Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State– Rameswar Teli(Constituency- Dibrugarh, Assam)