The Ministry of Labour and Employment(MoL&E) has constituted an expert group led by Professor Ajit Mishra, director of the Institute of Economic Growth to provide technical support and recommendations to fix the minimum wages and national floor minimum wages.The group is set up for the 3 years.
This decision is a part of the centre’s implementation of the Code of Wages, 2019, which mandates a statutory national level floor wage.
i.This is the 2nd expert committee on minimum wages formed by the government of India within the last 2 years.
ii.The previous expert panel headed by Anoop Satpathy, Fellow, VV Giri National Labour Institute was formed on 17th January 2018, to undertake an evidence-based analysis to determine methodology for fixing national minimum wage.
iii.The recommendations, like setting the national floor wage at Rs 375 per day (Rs 9,750 per month) as per July 2018 prices, were not accepted by the Centre.
- The current floor wage, which was fixed in 2017, is at Rs 176 a day.
- The minimum wage is lower than this in some of the states.
About the Expert Group:
- The expert group will make recommendations on the minimum wages and national floor wages to the government.
- The group will look into the international best practices on wages and evolve scientific criteria and methodology for the fixation of wages.
Members of the expert group:
D.P.S Negi, Senior Labour & Employment Advisor, Ministry of Labour & Employment will be the member secretary of the expert group.
- Prof Tarika Chakraborty, Indian Institute of Management(IIM) Calcutta,
- Anushree Sinha, Senior Fellow, National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER),
- Vibha Bhalla, Joint Secretary, Labour Ministry
- H Srinivas, Director General, V V Giri National Labour Institute (VVGNLI).
Recent Related News:
The Ministry of Labour & Employment has constituted 3 Expert Committees to review standards under Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions (OSH & WC) Code, 2020.
- The committees will review the existing rules & regulations on safety, health and working conditions standards, pertaining to factories, docks & Construction work
About Ministry of Labour and Employment(MoL&E):
Minister of State(Independent Charge)– Santosh Kumar Gangwar (Constituency: Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh)