Friday 22nd May 2015 turned to be an important day in the life of Mohan Kumar, a senior IAS officer.He was appointed as new Defence Secretary for a period of two-year term. Mohan Kumar is presently Secretary in Department of Defence Production. He is 1979 batch IAS officer of Odisha cadre.
- According to an order issued by the department of Personnel and Training,Appointments Committee of Cabinet had approved the appointment of Kumar as Defence Secretary for two year term.
- It would begin from the day he takes his charge of his post.
- Mohan Kumar would take charge from Radhakrishna Mathur , a 1977 batch Manipur-Tripura cadre IAS officer, whose two year tenure finishes on May 28th 2015.
- Mohan Kumar previously had worked in Commerce Ministry and also worked as Additional and Special Secretary in Ministry of Water Resources, River development and Ganga rejuvenation between 2010 to Sept 2013.
- Mohan kumar who is from Kerala, has also served as Steel Secretary before becoming Secretary in Department of Defence Production in 2014.
- Kumar would be replaced by Ashok Kumar Gupta, 1981 batch IAS officer of Tamilnadu cadre.
- Gupta is Special Secretary in Department of Defence Production.
- Kumar was involved in PM Modi’s ”Make In India” policy with defence designated as high- priority sector.
- Kumar was also co-chairman of India-US Defence Trade and Technology Initiative or DTTI, that is involved in the co-production and co-development of advanced military technologies of two countries.
Indian Administrative Service IAS– some facts
- IAS is the administratice civil service of Government of India.
- It was first formed in 1893.
- Along with Indian Police IPS and forest services IFS, IAS is one of 3 All India Services .
- Training ground is Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie,Uttarkhand.