The Ministry of Education (MoE) has formulated a 12-member National Steering Committee (SC) for the development of National Curriculum Frameworks in line with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- It will be chaired by Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan, an Scientist who headed the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) from 1994 to 2003.
- The tenure of the SC will be of 3 years w.e.f .September 21, 2021.
- The SC will be assisted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) Director Sridhar Srivastava (Current).
Members of SC:
Mahesh Chandra Pant, Govind Prasad Sharma, Najma Akhtar, TV Kattimani, Michel Danino, Milind Kamble, Jagbir Singh, Manjul Bhargava, MK Sridhar, Dhir Jhingran, Shankar Maruwada
What is the National Curriculum Frameworks?
It serves as a guideline for syllabus, textbooks, teaching and learning practices in India. Currently our education system is following the 4th national curriculum framework that was published by the NCERT in 2005.
Responsibilities of Committee:
i.It will be responsible for the development of four National Curriculum Frameworks with regard to NEP 2020 viz.:
- National Curriculum Framework for School Education
- National Curriculum for Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE)
- National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education
- National Curriculum Framework for Adult Education
ii.The committee will also consider the State Curriculum Frameworks and will also hold discussions with subject experts, scholars, educationists, etc. for the development of above mentioned Frameworks.
iii.The implications of COVID-19 will also be examined while formulating in order to safeguard future from the this kind of Pandemic.
Point to be noted:
Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan is a recipient of the Padma Shri (1982), Padma Bhushan (1992) and Padma Vibhushan (2000). He was also Chairman of the Drafting Committee of NEP, 2020.
Recent Related News:
On July 16, 2021, Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, and Tribal Affairs Minister, Arjun Munda, jointly launched a training program for school teachers named ‘School Innovation Ambassador Training Program’ (SIATP).
Ministry of Education (MoE):
Union Minister– Dharmendra Pradhan (Constituency- Madhya Pradesh)
Ministers of State (MoS)– Annpurna Devi (Constituency- Kodarma, Jharkhand); Dr Subhas Sarkar (Constituency- Bankura, West Bengal); and Rajkumar Ranjan Singh (Constituency- Inner Manipur, Manipur)