Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a “Soil Health Card scheme” in Suratgarh, Rajasthan. This scheme is an attempt to check deteriorating soil quality and spruce up farm productivity. The Union Government has planned to target over 14 crore farmers in the next three years to check the excessive usage of fertilizers. The card, to be issued after testing soil, would help them save up to Rs 50,000 in 3 acres of land. The card will carry crop-wise recommendation of fertilizers required for farm lands. The card will also assist farmers to identify the health of soil and judiciously use soil nutrients.
Modi asked farmers to take up farming in three parts. They are,
- Use more scientific and modern techniques in agriculture along with the traditional method.
- Grow more trees on the boundaries of farm fields.
- Take up poultry, fisheries, dairy and other allied activities to raise the income.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The UN General Assembly declared 2015 as the International Year of Soils.
- The UN declared 2014 as the Year of Family Farming.
- Synthetic Fertilizers cause extensive damage to water bodies, land, birds, animals and humans.
- The primary macronutrients necessary for Plants are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K).
- The three secondary macronutrients necessary for Plants are calcium (Ca), sulfur (S), magnesium (Mg).