Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Haryana’s year-long golden jubilee celebrations of Haryana in Gurugram. PM Modi kicked-off Haryana’s ‘Swarna Jayanti’ celebrations from Gurugram’s Tau Devi Lal stadium.
Haryana is one of the 29 states in India, situated in North India. It was carved out of the former state of East Punjab on 1 November 1966 on a linguistic basis.
- It stands 21st in terms of its area, which is spread about 44,212 km2. As of 2011 census of India, the state is eighteenth largest by population with 25,353,081 inhabitants.
- Haryana is one of the most economically developed regions in South Asia, and its agricultural and manufacturing industries have experienced sustained growth since the 1970s. Since 2000, the state has emerged as the largest recipient of investment per capita in India.
- It is bordered by Punjab and Himachal Pradesh to the north, and by Rajasthan to the west and south. The river Yamuna defines its eastern border with Uttar Pradesh.
- Haryana surrounds the country’s capital Delhi on three sides, forming the northern, western and southern borders of Delhi. Consequently, a large area of south Haryana is included in the National Capital Region for purposes of planning for development.
- The name Haryana is found in the works of the 12th-century AD Apabhramsha writer Vibudh Shridhar (VS 1189–1230).
- The name Haryana has been derived from the Sanskrit words Hari (the Hindu god Vishnu) and ayana (home), meaning “the Abode of God”. However, scholars such as Muni Lal, Murli Chand Sharma, HA Phadke and Sukhdev Singh Chib believe that the name comes from a compound of the words Hari (Sanskrit Harit, “green”) and Aranya (forest)
Haryana govt to set up Gurugram Development Authority
The Haryana Government has decided to set up Gurugram Development Authority (GDA) to avoid overlap in its functional and operational responsibilities and provide functional empowerment in administrative and financial structures at the local level.
- In view of the speedy economic development of Gurugram metropolitan area, the Haryana government has decided to set up GDA to avoid overlap in its functional and operational responsibilities, and provide functional empowerment in administrative and financial structures at the local level, within the limits of the provisions of the Constitution.
- The draft legislation for the establishment of GDA is placed in public domain and uploaded on the website of the Haryana government and Gurgaon’s district administration.
- It is noted that that there was an urgent and pressing need to define a new legal structure through the establishment of a GDA to address the shortcomings in urban governance and meet the aspirations of the citizens of Gurugram.
Haryana govt sanctions 500 buses for Gurgaon
In order to strengthen the public transport system in Gurgaon, the Haryana government has sanctioned a fleet of 500 buses for the millennium city.
- It is noted that Financial and investment support will be provided by Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon (MCG) with 51 per cent share, while rest of the cost will be provided by the Haryana government.
- The latest fleet would comprise of AC and non-AC buses and would operate on 21 routes in the city and will cover 578 km distance and
- 45 per cent buses will be of AC category and remaining under non-AC category.
7 states celebrates state formation Day on November 1 2016
Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Kerala, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan