Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed a contract worth INR 1, 056 Crore with Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd (MDSL) for supply of 1, 300 Armored Light Specialist Vehicles (ALSV) to Indian Army. The Light Specialist Vehicle will be indigenously designed and developed by MDSL.
- The induction of 1, 300 ALSV is expected to be completed in 4 years.
- It is the 1st major contract for an ALSV that was designed and developed completely by the private sector in India with Intellectual Property Rights within India.
- The contract is a flagship project to showcase the indigenous manufacturing capabilities of the Indian Defence Industry. It will be along the lines of ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’ & ‘Make in India’ initiative of India.
Armored Light Specialist Vehicle (ALSV)
- It is capable of performing both Counter-Terrorist operations & Conventional operations.
- It will be authorised to various fighting units for carriage of Medium Machine Guns, Automatic Grenade Launchers & Anti-tank Guided Missiles.
- They are equipped with protection against small arms fire.
Recent Related News:
i.February 24, 2021, Bharat Forge announced that it has received a ₹117.95-crore order from the Defence Ministry to supply its Kalyani M4 Kalyani M4 armored vehicles to the Army under the emergency procurement route.
About Mahindra Group:
Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd (MDSL) is the defence business venture of Mahindra Group
Chairman – Anand Mahindra
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra