The Miss World 2014 was crowned to Rolene Strauss, Miss South Africa on December 14, 2014. The Miss World 2014 event was held at the ExCeL Exhibition Centre in London. She was awarded with the crown by the outgoing Miss World 2013, Megan Young of the Philippines.
Megan Young of the Philippines was crowned the Miss World 2013 held at Bali, Indonesia last year. The Miss World 2013 event was considered the highest turnout in the beauty pageant history with 127 contestants. It was also the first Miss Philippines won the Miss World contest.
2014 beauty contest was participated by 121 contestants. Miss World 2014 is considered to be the 64th edition of the Miss World pageant.
HISTORY OF MISS WORLD CONTEST
The Miss World pageant is the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant along with Miss Universe. The international beauty pageant was created by Eric Morley in the United Kingdom on 1951. After Morley’s death in 2000, Julia Morley (Wife of Morley) became the chairwoman of the pageant (Till now 2014).
2014 MISS WORLD
María José Alvarado (Miss Honduras World) along with her sister Sofía Trinidad were found murdered on November 19, 2014. Miss Alvarado was expected to represent Miss Honduras, but due to the tragedy the Miss Honduras pageant organizers decided not to replace her and hence withdrew from the contest. Julia Morley, Miss World Organisation Chairman remembered both of them.
The other winners of the contest are as follows
1st Runner Up – Edina Kulcsár (Hungary)
2nd Runner Up – Elizabeth Safrit (United States)
Continental Queens of Beauty
Africa – Rolene Strauss (South Africa)
Americas – Elizabeth Safrit (United States)
Asia – Koyal Rana (India)
Caribbean – Dhío Moreno (Dominican Republic)
Europe – Edina Kulcsár (Hungary)
Oceania – Courtney Thorpe (Australia)
The challenge events of 2014 held on November 26, 2014 at UK and the winners are listed below.
Sports & Fitness
Krista Haapalainen (Finland)
Dewi Liana Seriestha (Malaysia)
Isidora Borovčanin (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
Olivia Asplund (Sweden)
Elizabeth Safrit (United States)
Flora Coquerel (France)
The People’s Choice
Nonthawan Thongleng (Thailand)
The special award for World Fashion Designer Dress was won by Koyal Rana (India).
Aishwarya Rai was felicitated by the Miss World Organisation at the 2014 international beauty pageant for her commitment to ‘beauty with a purpose’ as she won the crown two decades ago. She was described as embodiment of beauty with purpose, Aishwarya is also seen as the most successful Miss World so far (won 1994 Miss World).
NOTABLE EVENTS OF THE CONTEST
- 1954: Antigone Costanda (Egypt) is the first African and the first from a Muslim-dominated country to win Miss World Title (First Miss Egypt to win a title).
- Susana Duijm (Venezuela) is the first Latin-American and the first from Americas to win Miss World Title.
- 1963: Carole Joan Crawford (Jamaica) is the first from the Caribbean to win Miss World Title.
- 1966: Reita Faria (India) is the first Asian to win Miss World Title.
- 1989: Aneta Kreglicka (Poland)is the first Eastern European to win Miss World Title
- 2001: Agbani Darego (Nigeria) is the first Black African to win Miss World Title.
- 2013: Megan Young (Philippines) is the first and only Miss World to present the show on her final day of reign.
- Venezuela has won 6 Miss World titles (1955, 1981, 1984, 1991, 1995, 2011)- Highest title winner country.
Notable events with respect to India
- India has won 5 Miss World Titles (1966, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000)- Second highest title winner country.
- Continental Queens of Beauty winners for Asia (2008 – Parvathy Omanakuttan, 2014 – Koyal Rana).
- Reita Faria – India (Miss World 1966), Diana Hayden – India (Miss World 1997), Aishwarya Rai – India (Miss World 1994), Yukta Mookhey – India (Miss World 1999), Priyanka Chopra – India (Miss World 2000).
- Sushmita Sen – India (Miss Universe 1994).