- Mirage 2000 fighter jet of Indian Air force (IAF) conducted successful trial run of landing on Yamuna expressway near Mathura on 21st may 2015.
- Purpose : As part of road runway for emergency landing.
- It is the first for military aviation in India.
- Operations were conducted with active support from the government of U.P, Yamuna expressway authority, toll authorities of JP infratech and the civil police.
- Successful trial run gives a push to the planning authorities to convert the 308 km Agra-Lucknow expressway
- It is the first green field expressway in the country
- Expected to cost around Rs. 13000 crore.
- It will pass through Firozabad, Shikohabad, Manipuri, Etawah, Kannauj and Mohanlalganj.
About road runway
- For the road runway, the road stretch should be straight, level, non-undualating round without any slpoe and also free of waterlogging and free of flodds.
- It will not have electricity poles, masts or mobile phone towers.
- There will be ground lighting systems that can be quickly placed placed on the roadsides to guide aircraft during landings.