The Ministry of Tourism signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with 2 Online Travel Companies – Cleartrip and Ease My Trip for boosting the Hospitality & Tourism Industry of India.
i.The MoU aims to
- Provide visibility to Tourist accommodation units which have self-certified themselves on SAATHI App (System for Assessment, Awareness & Training for the Hospitality Industry) on the OTA Platform (Online Travel Agency).
- It mandates Cleartrip & Ease My Trip to encourage Units to register on NIDHI (National Integrated Database of Hospital Industry)
ii.Registration of entities on SAATHI & NIDHI platform is to promote safe, honourable and sustainable tourism.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism with the Quality Council of India to assist the hospitality industry to operate safely and instill confidence among Staff, employees and guests about the safety of the hotel/unit.
- It was launched on World Tourism Day which was observed on September 27, 2020.
UNCTAD (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development) stated that Lockdowns could have created a loss of around USD 1.2 Trillion or 1.5% of GDP for the World Tourism sector.
Flipkart acquires Cleartrip
Flipkart is set to acquire 100% stake of Cleartrip’s shareholding (valued at ~ USD 40 Million). Under the deal, Cleartrip operations will be acquired by Flipkart.
- But Cleatrip will continue to operate as a separate brand.
- It is aimed at strengthening Flipkart’s digital commerce offerings for customers.
Recent Related News:
i.On August 21, 2020, TAAI and FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) inked a MOU with the Ministry of Tourism for women empowerment
About Ministry of Tourism
Union Minister – Prahlad Singh Patel (Lok Sabha – Damoh, M.P)
Chairman – Michael Eberhard
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Ease My Trip
CEO – Nishant Pitti
Headquarters – New Delhi