On August 21, 2020, Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Ladies Organisation (FLO) inked a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Ministry of Tourism for women empowerment through video conference. The MoU was inked in the presence of Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism (Independent Charge-IC), Prahlad Singh Patel.
- This decision has been taken to organise training, impart digital awareness and develop skills among women, including those in rural and remote areas, in order to encourage their participation in the development of tourism which include the areas of homestays, tourist facilitators, catering business and more, through on Sustainable Tourism practices.
- FLO and TAAI will be the facilitators in the process connecting women with the relevant stakeholders.
-Through this initiative FLO & TAAI would lay emphasis on the following components proposed under the initiative:
- Encourage travel to at least 15 destinations within the country under the DekhoApnaDesh initiative.
- Conduct community-based tourism activities around one Iconic Monument or Tourist Landmark in each state where women will be the tour guides, run food stalls, souvenir stalls with their own arts & crafts, handle the overall accounts and running of the landmark.
- Tie up with training agencies for Tourism workshops for training women on Atithidevo bhava motto which include concepts on food safety, hospitality, health & hygiene, sanitation, environment, culinary skills and entrepreneurship skills.
- Create awareness about the Incredible India Tourist Facilitator (IITF) Certification Programme.
Recent Related News:
In accordance with the latest round of Economic Outlook Survey of FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry), India’s annual median Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for FY2020-21 has been declined to (-) 4.5% with a minimum and maximum growth estimate of (-) 6.4% and 1.5% respectively, as compared to January 2020 estimate of 5.5%. The current round of the survey was conducted in the month of June 2020.
About FICCI Ladies Organisation:
President– Jahnabi Phookan
Headquarter– New Delhi
About Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI):
President– Jyoti Mayal (2019-21)
Secretariat– Mumbai, Maharashtra