The Ministry of Railways appointed Ajay Shankar committee on 25 March 2015 to review the performance of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) cell functioning under the Railway Board.
Points to Remember
- The Committee will recommend measures to make the cell more effective, customer friendly and result oriented.
- The Infrastructure Directorate of Railway Board will be the Nodal Directorate for functioning of the Committee and Executive Director/Traffic (PPP) Railway Board will be the Secretary to the Committee.
- During the Rail budget speech in February 2015, Union Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu had promised to revamp the existing PPP cell in the Railways in order to make it more result oriented.
- Government also had unveiled its plan to invest Rs.8.5 trillion in the railways in next 5 years.
- By channelizing PPP, railways is seeking to improve its freight business and investment in its infrastructure.