On June 12, 2017, Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh decided to set up an expert committee to examine the rules which allows free movement of Indian and Myanmarese citizens within 16 kms of the border. The decision to setup the committee was taken by Rajnath Singh while chairing the meeting of Indo-Myanmar Border States in Aizawl, Mizoram on June 12, 2017.
- India’s 1,643-km border with Myanmar touches four states– Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram.
- People living within 16 kms on either side of the border can take benefit of a visa-free movement regime, under which they can stay up to 72 hours with effective and valid permits issued by the designated authority on either side.
- This regime has been in place keeping in view the traditional social ties among the border people.
- Militants in the region take undue advantage of this rule and often exploit citizens for smuggling arms, drugs, and fake Indian currency.
More details about Committee set up by Ministry of Home Affairs:
The committee will be headed by the special secretary (Internal Security) in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- It will prepare standard operating procedures common for all the four states so that militants, criminals and contraband are filtered at the border without causing inconvenience to genuine people.
- The committee will submit its report for uniform and effective implementation of free movement regime within three months.
Development of the North-Eastern region:
Rajnath Singh mentioned that Union Government is putting in persistent efforts for development of the North-Eastern region.
- North-East will soon have a string of modern cities under Smart City project.
- For strengthening the infrastructure in Indo-Myanmar Border, Assam Rifles has given a proposal for construction of roads and airports facilities for their operational requirement.
- Besides, infrastructure is being developed in various sectors including inter and intra-regional road, rail and air connectivity, health, education and power.
- Capital: Naypyidaw
- Currency: Burmese kyat
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification