The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with MapmyIndia, thereby enabling map services in ‘UMANG App’.
- UMANG stands for Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance.
- This collaboration is on the lines to enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme under the theme of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
i.This integration will help the Indian citizens to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as ration shops under Mera Ration, mandis (eNAM-National Agriculture Market), blood banks, places where lightning has struck in the past few minutes (Damini), Indian Oil petrol pump, ESIC (Employees State Insurance Corporation) Centres and gas stations.
- It also provides access to users to view the toll plazas and toll rates information of NHAI (National Highways Authority of India).
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) provides information corresponding to nearby police stations on the map.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana- PMGSY (Meri Sadak) will help users to raise complaints of damaged roads.
ii.It will also provide detailed and interactive street and village level maps of India, built by MapmyIndia.
iii.It will provide Global Positioning System (GPS) including traffic and road safety alerts during navigation.
About UMANG App:
Launched in 2017, it is a multi-lingual app developed and operated by National e-Governance Division (NeGD), MeitY for providing access to high impact services of various organizations (Central and State). Its aim is to make the government accessible on the mobile phones of citizens.
- Currently it provides about 1251 services from 257 Departments & 32 States and about 20,280 Utility Bill Payment services.
- Citizens can also give their feedback after availing any service through Rapid Assessment System (RAS).
Recent Related News:
On June 9, 2021, Digital India Corporation (DIC), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi. The MoU aims to help farmers by providing location specific ‘Demand Based Tele Agriculture Advisories’.
It was the first company to build India’s digital maps, India’s internet mapping portal & technologies, India’s GPS Navigation Auto-tech System along with nationwide Digital Address.
Headquarters– New Delhi
Chairman & Managing Director (MD)– Rakesh Verma
About Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY):
Union Minister– Ashwini Vaishnaw (Constituency- Odisha)
Minister of State (MoS)– Rajeev Chandrasekhar (Constituency- Karnataka)