Mehbooba Mufti was elected Chief Minister of J & K, after clearing the decks for government formation in the state. This decision is taken in the legislature party meet Chaired by Mahbooba at her official residence in Gupka.
- PDP legislature party leader set to become the first woman chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir. PDP has 28 MLAs in the 87-member House while its alliance partner BJP has 25 MLAs. Plus the coalition has support of two and Independent MLA Aga Baqar Rezvi has also extended support to the candidature of Mehbooba.
- Mehboobais likely to take the oath of office in a few days but it would be tough for her to convince her party’s leaders and legislators on why government formation was delayed for so long.
- The PDP-BJP coalition, after 10 months rule from March 2015 to January, ran into rough weather following the death of then Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on January 7, after which the state came under Governor’s rule.
Know more about Mehbooba:
- 56-year-old Mehbooba is currently member of LokSabha, representing AnantnagConstituency of Kashmir. She has started her political career in 1996 by joining Congress along with her father.
- Mehbooba played a key role in her father’s victory as Congresscandidate in LokSabha elections of 1998 when Sayeed defeated NC’s Mohammad YousufTaing from south Kashmir.
India’s First Women Chief Minister:
- SuchetaKriplani was India’s first woman Chief Minister, serving as the head of the Uttar Pradesh government from 1963 to 1967.